Thursday, May 8, 2008

'The Boxer' by Simon & Garfunkel


Yay! I likes me some folk rock. Simon & Garfunkel are like a comfort blanket for me, their music always reminds me of my daddy and growing up in Nigeria. He used to drive us to school and in the car we'd listen to this CD and i guess its stuck with me. My Dad has the best music taste and very eclectic too hence picking out CDs for him can be quite a daunting task but i always love the challenge :-)
Rolling Stone rated this song #105 on their list of 'The 500 greatest songs of all time'. It's featured on the duo's 'Bridge over troubled water' album and is pretty much about not letting life beat you down. Having that fighting spirit.
This verse just sums it all:
In the clearing stands a boxer/And a fighter by his trade/and he carries the
reminders/of ev'ry
glove that laid him down/or cut him till he cried out/In his anger and his
shame,"I am leaving, I am leaving."/But the fighter still
remains
I am crazy about the song's instrumental melody so after a little googling i found that the sound was created with a piccolo trumpet, steel pedal guitar and bass harmonica. According to sources, legendary drummer Hal Blaine created the huge drum sound during the chorus by banging a heavy chain against the concrete floor of an empty storage closet (You learn something new everyday!)
Press Play on the right!

No comments: